Okay since I never posted about it and that last post reminded me of it, here’s some parallels between Ego and Thanos:
- A father figure with conditional love. If Gamora wasn’t stronger than Nebula and lost against her as children, she would’ve been the neglected, torn apart daughter while her sister was Thanos’s favorite and praised. If Quill hadn’t been able to control his connection to the Light, he would’ve been killed off for being useless like most of his half siblings before him and left to rot.
Also on that note can we talk about how the only reason Quill could hold the connection was not genetics, but the fact he was an adult and able to better control himself than a literal child- if Yondu dropped him off at 8 years old he probably would’ve been killed as well-
- Both Thanos and Ego are destructive, powerful beings. Even if Ego’s Expansion plan was more selfish, one wanted to cover possible billions of planets in his own being, and the other wanted to control life and death by wiping out half of the universe’s occupants instead of a better alternative of doubling the resources.
- Both have killed women they were supposed to love. Ego put a tumor in Meredith’s head that probably made her last years alive hell, just so he wouldn’t be tempted to return to Earth to see her, despite only visiting her a few times. Thanos uses his favorite daughter as a sacrifice for the Soul Stone, denying her wish to die of her own hand and instead throwing her into a painful death on Vormir.
- Also on that note, both used their Children for what would suit them best. Thanos tortured Nebula by tearing her apart to make Gamora tell him where the Soul Stone was, and then sacrificed her for it. Ego wanted to use Quill’s connection to the Light to help with his Expansion, and when he fought back against it, was content to punish Quill by draining him as a battery.
- I’d also like to point out the fact that part of why Quill attacks Thanos “too soon” in Infinity War is the fact that he’s very much reliving his time with Ego in that moment. The big baddie has just confessed to killing a women he loved (his girlfriend instead of his mother) and how he Had to do it for some reason. And we all saw how fast Quill is to attack when this happens, shooting his own father to pieces and trying to bash in Thanos’s head in anger.
So anyways yeah Thanos and Ego are scarily similar and this is why I don’t blame Quill for how he reacted in IW