The Star Wars community on Tumblr has been super amazing these past couple of weeks, welcoming the new actors/characters to the Star Wars family while at the same time going back and appreciating the old cast from the Original Trilogy and the Prequels.. But there’s one thing I’ve noticed that’s been quite absent from my dash and that’s some George Lucas appreciation. I’d like to see a bit more love on my dash, he may be a bit of a divisive figure for some, but he’s also been involved in many things that were a part of your childhood outside of Star Wars and is a great philanthropist too. I’d like to make this an appreciation post.
- George Lucas founded Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) a motion picture visual effects company in May 1975. It, is a division of the film production company, Lucasfilm, which Lucas founded, and was created when Lucas began production of the film Star Wars. [More here]
- In 2005, Lucas gave US$1 million to help build the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial on the National Mall in Washington D.C. to commemorate American civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. [X]
- The animation studio Pixar was founded as the Graphix Group, one third of the Computer Division of Lucasfilm. Pixar’s early computer graphics research resulted in groundbreaking effects in films such as Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Young Sherlock Holmes, and the group was purchased in 1986 by Steve Jobs shortly after he left Apple Computer.
- Lucas founded the George Lucas Educational Foundation and the website Edutopia to reform and improve K-12 education. The foundation emphasizes hands-on, project-based learning over plodding devotion to standardized tests and traditional textbooks. It highlights innovative teaching efforts that are already working in classrooms. [X]
- Photoshop was first used at the Industrial Light & Magic as an image-processing program. Photoshop was created by ILM Visual Effects Supervisor John Knoll and his brother Thomas as a summer project. It was used on The Abyss. The Knoll brothers sold the program to Adobe shortly before the film’s release.
- On September 19, 2006, USC announced that Lucas had donated $175–180 million to his alma mater to expand the film school. It is the largest single donation to USC and the largest gift to a film school anywhere. [X]
- LucasArts Entertainment Company, LLC is an American video game publisher and licensor.
It was founded in May 1982 by George Lucas as Lucasfilm Games, the video game development group of his film company, Lucasfilm.
- Remember this? The sound equipped system, THX Ltd, was founded by Lucas and Tomlinson Holman. The company was formerly owned by Lucasfilm, and contains equipment for stereo, digital, and theatrical sound for films, and music. THX was named after Holman, with the “X” standing for “crossover” as well as in homage to Lucas’s first film, THX 1138.
- The George Lucas Family Foundation announced Tuesday, $10 million of its 2006 pledge will go toward financial support for African American and Hispanic students at the USC School of Cinematic Arts. [X]