I just love how cyclical the narrative of Mad Max is, and the way the same things will happen over again, but with vastly different meanings applied to them.
- Furiosa and the wives leave the Citadel and end up back at the Citadel.
- Max starts out as a blood bag and ends as a blood bag.
- Nux starts out willing to die for someone he worships and ends it ready to die for someone he loves.
- Cheedo starts out ready to run back to Joe, and her character arc ends with her running back to Joe
- Furiosa begins the movie seeking the Green Place for her own sake and ends it seeking it for the sake of the people she loves
- The Wretched are given water by Immortan Joe at the start and given water by the Milking Mothers at the end.
- The Wretched cry out to their dictator at the start and end it crying out to their liberators.
- The circle is a recurring motif, one strongly connected to the wives – e.g.
the round vault door, the round water feature in their room, Dag tracing
the circles on Immortan Joe’s symbol with her hands.
And of course, the first and last thing we hear Max say is ‘My name is Max.’
Round and around in circles it goes, like a wheel or Joe’s brand or the cycle of life itself.
Round like the sun in the sky… Or the satellites circling the earth…