By Sofía Marlasca (princessamericachavez)
Since its debut, Ms. Marvel has been a massive success with all kinds of audiences. Marvel has been applauded for the introduction of a new Muslim American superhero (not the first one, mind you) and G. Willow Wilson’s writing has been universally acclaimed. So much, that it seems Kamala will be joining the main All-New, All-Different Avengers.
There’s a reason for all these: Ms. Marvel is brilliant. And yes, it is culturally diverse and inclusive, but the real brilliance of this title goes beyond that. Wilson has managed, time and time again, to tackle a wide variety of issues many other comic books shy away from and it has done it in fun, innovative, and creative ways.
Kamala Khan has become, without a doubt, the voice of a generation: a way in for thousands of readers and fans who identify with a lovable geek who is facing this world one day at the time, with the earnestness and determination so many other heroes lack this days. Now, we bring you a collection of Ms. Marvel‘s most insightful moments so far.
1. When it portrayed how misplaced and disrespectful the “White Savior Complex” is:
2. When it talked about sexism within households:
3. When it talked about the unfulfilling reality behind pretending to be someone else:
4. When it showed us the supportive and caring side of Kamala’s strict parents and their reasons:
5. When it gave us this amazing “with great power…” level quote:
6. When it portrayed religious and authority figures as understanding and helpful, rather than demonizing Kamala’s culture:
7. When it talked about the way Millennials are treated:
8. When it talked about extremism and terrorism (and clearly showed how personally it affected Kamala):
9. When it talked about consent and victim-blaming:
We are very excited to see what else Kamala and the Ms. Marvel creative team have in store for us! And if you are not reading this title yet, what are you waiting for?